Effective date: 18 September 2023
Personal information is any information that personally identifies an individual or from which an individual could be identified. This may include a name, address, telephone number, email address and other private personal attributes.
We may need to process personal information as part of our work; for example, from our members, business contacts, members of the public, and users of our Resources (‘you’ or ‘yours’).
• Data minimisation: We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you. This is limited to what we require to perform our services.
• Data retention: We will retain personal information only for as long as legally required or permitted and in accordance with our records and information management policies.
• Access rights: We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
• Data transparency: We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
What this policy covers
We may also provide social media features on this website which enable you to share information with your social networks and interact with us on various social media sites. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you by these social media sites, depending on the feature. We encourage you to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, and shared by those sites and also review their privacy policies.
Information we collect
The amount and type of information we collect depends on the context and how we use the information. You may sign up to receive updates or other communication from us and provide us with contact information. You may also provide us information when you respond to a request for feedback, or to a survey.
Information we collect automatically
• Log information: We may collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available. These could include browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
• Usage information: We may collect information about your usage of our Resources. These could be used to determine how effective and efficient our communications are, and to assess engagement and impact.
• Location information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We may collect and use this information, for example to understand in which geographic regions our Resources are accessed by users.
Purposes for using information
We may use information about you as mentioned above, and to:
• monitor or analyse trends and better understand how users interact with our Resources;
• measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our Resources, and other communications;
• monitor and prevent any problems with our Resources, protect the security of our Resources, detect, and prevent fraudulent use. We also seek to prevent any other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect rights and property;
• communicate with you, for example through an email to seek your feedback, clarify your responses to a survey/feedback, or keep you up to date;
• personalise your experience using our Resources, e.g., provide content recommendations; and
• provide, further develop, and enhance our Resources.
How we protect your information
Security is a high priority for us, and this extends to security of your personal information. To protect, maintain the accuracy and integrity of personal information and other confidential information, we have implemented appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to prevent unauthorized access, use or disclosure. We require the same high standard of information security and information management of any third parties we share your information with.
For more information, please refer to the overview of our technical and organisational measures.
How long we keep information
We discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it – which are described in the section above on ‘Purposes for using information' and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
How we share information
We share information about you in the limited circumstances set out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy. Please note that an automatic confidentiality disclaimer generated by your IT system on emails will not, of itself, be regarded as binding on us.
• Government agencies: In certain circumstances, personal information may be subject to disclosure to government agencies pursuant to judicial proceeding, court order, law enforcement or legal process.
• To protect rights, property, and others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our property or rights, or the property or rights of others.
• With your consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction.
• Aggregated or de-identified information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you.
Depending on your legal jurisdiction, including the United Kingdom (UK) and European Union (EU), you may have a number of legal rights in relation to the personal information that we hold about you. Velonetic will facilitate your exercise of these rights as required by law, including, but not limited to:
• request access to, and deletion or correction of, information about you;
• object to how we use and process your information;
• request that we limit our use and processing of your personal information;
• request that your personal information be transferred to another organisation; and
• make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
If you are interested in learning more about your privacy rights, visit your local government supervisory authority’s website.
How to contact us